Pasta & Turkeyballs
Who doesn't love a bowl of pasta and meatballs? Um.. Everyone, right? When many people begin a healthy lifestyle, they get the assumption that there are many restrictions. One of them being, no carbs, which is totally false. Carbs are what gives us the energy for the day. Without carbs we are not feeding our body correctly therefore slow down our fitness progress because when we do not eat carbs, we get hungrier, which leads to binge eating in between meals or worse having seconds or thirds during each meal. One thing I have learned from Kayla Itsines during my BBG journey is to have carbs in moderation. Six servings is all you need for the day, so two servings per meal, you will complete the serving size for the day. Now that I have given you a tip, lets get to the recipe!
1 Pack of ground turkey
Handful of parsley
2 Garlic Cloves minced
Salt & Pepper to taste
1 box Whole wheat Pasta
1 tbspn Olive Oil
Pinch of salt
1 Container of tomato sauce (I buy mine at Trader Joe's)
1. In a large pot, fill half way with water and boil. Once boiled, throw in pinch of salt, olive oil, and pasta. Cook as instructed on box. Make sure to cook pasta al dente, which is not too soft nor too hard. Pasta should still have a bite to it.
2. As pasta cooks, start on the turkeyballs. In a bowl, put in ground turkey, thinly diced, onion, garlic, parsley, and egg.Season with salt & pepper. Mix together. When mixed, begin forming balls to any size you wish.
3. On a heated pan with 1 tspn of olive oil, sear each turkeyball,so it has a nice color NOTE: the turkeyballs will not be cooked on the stove, they will be thoroughly cooked in the oven. DO not burn of leave a crust on the turkeyballs. You are just searing each side to a light color. Once all turkeyballs are seared, place on a baking sheet, bake in a 360F for about 45 min.
4. While turkeyballs are in the oven, cook tomato sauce in a large pan, until it comes to a boil. When the oven timer goes off, transfer the turkeyballs from the baking sheet to the boiling tomato sauce. Cook for another 30 minutes.
5. Once the 30 minutes are up, you can layer your turkeyballs and tomato sauce over your pasta. Garnish with parsley. There you have clean eating turkeyballs!
Hope you enjoy this recipe! Let me know in the comments below if you try this out. After eating this you will want to have pasta nights every week.